Bay is an evergreen tree, scientifically known as Pimento racemosa; it is native to South America. Bay tree grows up to 30 feet in height, small and erect in structure. It has grayish bark, aromatic and green leaves, also bear berries. It has long pointed leaves, with small yellow or white flowers with black berries.
The Bay oil is acquired from the dried leaves and berries which are collected or harvested from 5 years old bay tree through steam distillation. Either added salt or seawater is required in distill for extraction of bay oil.
Bay oil is warming oil, deep golden yellow to brown in colour; strong spicy smell similar to clove and watery viscosity. Its aroma is fruity, spice and herbaceous.
Main constituents of Bay oil are eugenol, chavicol, myrcene, linalool and limonene.
Bay oil is nicely blends with cedar wood, coriander, eucalyptus, geranium, ginger, juniper, lavender, lemon, orange, rose, rosemary, and thyme and ylang ylang.
Safety and Precautions:
- Bay essential oil is used in aromatherapy due to its sedative property and as massage oil, as it induces relaxing and refreshing effect and also treats muscle & joint pain and also helps in neuralgia.
- Bay oil is used as ingredient in hair shampoos and hair conditioners because it prevents dandruff, treats hair loss and gives hairs a vibrant shine.
- It is used to heal sprains and strains.
- It is also helpful in stimulating blood circulation.
- It has skin toner quality, treats razor burns and breakouts in skin.
- Bay oil is used in perfumery, cosmetics and in men’s personal care products.
- It acts as insect repellant and also added to fumigants, vaporizers and sprays.
- It is effective against nerves pressure, stimulate blood vessels contraction and also alleviate pain due to neuralgia.
- It is effective against joint & muscle issues such as arthritis, sprains and in respiratory problems like cold, cough, viral infection and flu as it has decongestant quality.
- It prevents wounds from septic or tetanus such as severe convulsions, cramps, breathlessness, pain and inhibit growth of microbes.
- It has antibiotic property so it protects liver, heart and other internal organs.
- It provides relieve in cramps, coughs, aches, diarrhea, nervous afflictions and convulsions caused by spasm.
- It provides strengthen grip of gums on teeth, prevent sagging skin and muscles as it induces contractions in the blood vessels so that cures haemorrhaging.
- Bay oil maintains acid and base balance in stomach as it promotes bile discharge.
- It is effective against obstructed menses, promotes regularity and eases in pain.
- It has ability to fight against infections that may lead to coughs, cold, fevers and helps in brings down body temperature as it encourages perspiration and also facilitates removal of toxins through sweat.
- It is used as toner as it improves metabolic functions by toning up liver, stomach and intestine and provides healthier and stronger body.
- Need guidance of an aromatherapy practioner as it can cause skin irritation due to its eugenol component.
- Avoid use of bay oil during pregnancy or nursing women.
- People who are suffering from kidney, liver diseases, cancer and who are using anticoagulants should avoid use of bay oil as it can cause harm.
- Keep away from reach of children and infants.